Benefits of bus travel
As part of the Go-Ahead Group, we understand the many benefits provided by taking the bus and we are dedicated to enhancing these for our community.
To read the full article, click here: CAR - Benefits of Bus Travel PDF (543 KB).
Reduced emissions and cleaner air
40,000 deaths per year in the UK are linked to harmful vehicle emissions such as carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), and nitrogen oxides (NOx).
All buses in the Carousel fleet meet at least the Euro V emissions rating which regulates the emission of these harmful by-products.
Low carbon footprint
Taking a bus instead of a car can help cut your (travel) carbon emissions (per passenger km) by 38%. For a bus carrying 40 people, this figure rises to 80%.
To see how much you could reduce carbon emissions by taking the bus instead of driving, visit our Journey Planner: Plan your journey.
In 2018, 62% of car journeys were made by single drivers with no passengers.
If each of our buses were used to 50% capacity, an estimated 24.7 cars would be removed from the road per bus. Similarly, if used to 100% capacity, 50 cars would be taken off the road, freeing up 200m of road space per bus.
Bus travel is generally more affordable than driving, especially when considering fuel costs, parking fees, and vehicle maintenance.
At Carousel Buses, we offer a variety of zone tickets that make it easy to do more, see more, and experience more, for less.
Find out more about our tickets: Tickets.
Access to employment
Bus travel also provides an equitable transportation system which helps increase employment and productivity:
- Buses are important for those trying to re-enter the workforce.
- People use buses to commute to work where they earn money that they reinvest in the economy.
- Bus companies are a major employer and integral to the economies of the communities in which they operate.
Explore our job vacancies and careers: Jobs.
Bus travel can improve community mobility by providing direct links to other communities and areas where there are opportunities such as jobs, education, healthcare, shopping, social gatherings, and more.
Explore our services: Times & maps.
Health & wellbeing benefits
There are also many health and wellbeing benefits to bus travel:
- Bus services provide a highly accessible link to healthcare and health centres.
- Research shows commuters typically report better psychological wellbeing after travelling by public transport compared to driving.
- Walking to and from the bus stop can be an effective way to get active and reach your daily step goal.